A Day In the Life of A 7-Week Old Baby.

It is 4:30pm and I’ve been writing this post since last night.  Before Cullen came along, I knew life would be different, but I had no idea what a typical day would look like with a baby.  Now I know that there is no such thing as a typical day, but I’ve done my best to capture what one might look like.

Sometimes our afternoons and mornings are flip-flopped, some naps are longer than others, sometimes we run errands, but overall my days tend to run along the same general schedule.  Here’s what my days look like with a seven-week old in charge…

8:00 – 9:00am – Into the nursery to get Cullen changed, dressed, and fed.  He usually eats for 20-25 minutes each time, so eating takes up a long chunk of our day!  Here’s a fun fact I didn’t know until having a baby – feedings are timed from the START of a feeding, to the start of the next feeding.  So if your baby eats every 2 hours, 30 minutes of that is taken up by…feeding.  So you really only have 90 minutes in between to get anything else done.

9am – We’ve been up for two hours, but we’re just now finally making it downstairs.  Cullen is happy and is willing to play on his playmat for a bit, kicking and batting at the toys.

As soon as he hits the mat, I start racing around to get as much done as I can before he needs me again.  First things first, feeding the dogs who have been staring at me since we woke up.  Once the dogs eat, I go back downstairs to let them out.

Back UP the stairs, and into the kitchen to quickly make myself breakfast.  This is my only real window to eat in the mornings, so I have to do it quickly or else I will starve.  Usually I have oatmeal waiting for me in the rice cooker from the night before, so I quickly dish that up, throw on some toppings, and slam it along with a full liter of sparkling water.

9:30am – The playmat is no longer fun, and Cullen is demanding a playmate.  I sit on the floor and shake the carrots and bumblebees for him, and make goofy faces and sing to him.

10:00am – Mom is not funny anymore.  Time for the morning nap!  Depending on his level of tiredness, I will walk around for a few minutes with him on my shoulder, or just put him directly into his swing.  Usually he goes down for this nap without much resistance.  He always naps in his swing or pillow – still working on transitioning to naps in the crib.

10:00 – 11:00am – Cullen’s morning nap will last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour (occasionally a dreaded ten minutes).  During this window, I finally sit down at my computer for the first time, check email, start my posts for that day, and try to quickly answer any lingering comments/questions from the day before.  Before he wakes up, I run downstairs one more times to give the dogs a break in the backyard.

11:00am – Time to eat again!  Back up to the nursery for meal and a diaper change.

11:30am – Cullen is happy with a full belly, so I take him into the bedroom and set him in his Pack N Play to kick his legs and stare out the window.

He LOVES the camera, so we usually have a morning photo shoot each day around this time.

After a few pictures, I run around the top floor changing over the laundry, folding clean laundry, picking up the bedroom, etc.

IMG_5528 (640x427)IMG_5530 (640x427)

12:00 – 2:00pm – I usually try to get out of the house around this time, since this is when Cullen starts to hit his afternoon meltdown point.  He goes into the Ergo, and we either walk to a coffee shop just the two of us, or we meet one of my other new mom friends for a walk around the neighborhood.  He usually takes his afternoon nap while we walk.

2011-12-11 11.15.48

2:00pm – Back at home, and someone is hungry!  Back up to the nursery for an afternoon meal, diaper change, and laundry switchover.

And someone else is hungry – mom hasn’t had lunch yet.  After he eats I’ll try putting him back on his playmat for a few minutes so that I can throw together something for lunch.  It usually ends up being a Field Roast dog, hummus and crackers, or leftovers.  If I’m lucky I might also get 30 or so minutes at my computer at this point.

2:00 – 4:00pm – This is Cullen’s worst time of day.  For some reason he gets really grumpy in the late afternoon, and I have a hard time keeping him happy.  We sing, we dance, we play in the mirror, we lay on soft blankets and look at toys.  Usually during this period I have to give him my full attention, and can’t get near my computer or do much else.  We are usually joined by dogs.

He might take a short 30 minute nap, usually ON me or in his swing.  If that happens, I quickly run down to feed the dogs and let them out again.

4:00pm – Back awake and back on the boob!

4:15pm – Diaper explosion.  Entire outfit change for both of us.  New load of laundry started.

4:30pm – Dad is home!  This is a bright spot in BOTH of our days, as a new face and some relief is more than needed at this point.  We talk to Casey, catch up on our days, and figure out our plan for the evening.

5:00 – 6:00pm – When most babies are at their crankiest (evening), this is Cullen’s favorite time of day.  He LOVES to be naked, so we usually strip him down and let him just hang out in a diaper.  He hangs out in his Boppy pillow on the kitchen counter and helps me start to prepare dinner.  Lots of kicking, smiling, and shouting of baby noises.

Nov 23 (427x640)

6:30 – Last feeding of the night – I hope!  If he’s getting a bath, this happens now.  He’s a big fan of bath time.  Out of the tub, dried off, final diaper change, and into pajamas.

7:00pm – Back downstairs and settling down for bedtime.  Usually Casey bounces Cullen on his lap or in his arms while I finish up dinner preparations.

7:30pm – Bedtime!  He goes to bed almost every night at the same time.  We put him in his cozy swaddle, set him in his Boppy pillow on the couch, turn on a little white noise, and sit with him for a few minutes.  Typically he’s really good about going to bed.  I think he knows his routine now, and he usually looks around for a few minutes before eventually closing his eyes.  Once he’s asleep, we know he’s down for good.  Huey and Indy curl up next to him every night.

2011-12-02 20.34.12

7:30 – 10:00pm – Mom and dad time.  Once he goes to sleep, we finish and plate up dinner and eat together.  Afterwards, we watch TV while we both catch up on computer work.  As you see, there is very little time for any work during the day – only during occasional long naps which are unpredictable, so the bulk of my work has to be done at night.

10:00pm – Carry Cullen upstairs and set him in his Pack N Play.  He squirms a bit, but almost never wakes up.  I am dragging and ready to pass out in bed.

1:30am – I hear Cullen squirming and snorting, and my boobs are alerting me that it is most definitely time to eat.  I pick him up and carry him into the nursery for a diaper change and feeding.  I keep the lights low and don’t say much to him, trying to keep him in a sleepy state.  To keep myself awake during his feeding, I text with the other #zombiemoms and read blogs on my phone.  I am TIRED.

2:15am – Both of us go back to sleep.  He never wakes up and stays up (loudly knocking on wood), and I’m lucky that he’s such a good sleeper.

5:00am – Awake again!  Grab him for another diaper change and meal.  At this point it’s 8am on the East coast, so I have a lot more email and Twitter to entertain me while he eats his breakfast.

5:45am – Casey gets up to go run on the treadmill just as Cullen and I are heading back to sleep.  He usually doesn’t go back to sleep quite as quickly this time, but he’s happy to squirm around and kick for 30 minutes or so before eventually drifting off.  I pass out immediately.

7:00 – 8:00am – Cullen is up and making noise again, and I know he’s now up for the morning.  Even though I am very tempted to stay in bed and get another hour of sleep, I force myself out of bed and into the shower.  He always has an hour of “playtime” in the morning, where I unswaddle him, open the balcony curtains, and let him kick and play in his crib (which he loves).

This gives me a short window to shower, get dressed, and throw my hair in a bun before he gets hungry.  While I’m in the shower, the dogs climb into our bed for a morning snooze and babysit Cullen in his Pack N Play.  Eventually Cullen’s squeaks and coos turn into whines and cries, and I know it’s time to eat again.

8:00am – Back in the nursery, and the cycle starts all over again…

Every baby and every day is different, and I know they will continue to change as he gets older and his needs are different.  I’m planning to do another “day in the life” in a few months to see how much has changed!  And with that, it’s time to go feed my baby again…

Meghan     at 5:58 pm

Love this post! Love the pics :)

Sana     at 5:58 pm

Aww I love this post! And your ability to blog while being a super mom!

Katherine     at 5:59 pm

This was fun to read!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 6:00 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this! It was so cool to read a day in the life of Cullen! What packed and fun days they are!

eliza     at 6:02 pm

he is so so so adorable! Your stories make me so excited to be a mom even with how busy it is :)

Hannah     at 6:02 pm

Wow! I’m going through final exams in my 3rd year of undergrad and I think you are SUPERWOMAN!

Kelly     at 6:02 pm

It’s so good to know what a normal day is like! I am glad to know what’s coming my way :)

Rachel     at 6:04 pm

ah this sounds like my life with a 12-week old boy. Only he is never, ever content to be alone! He can’t have playtime without me, so between that and feeding I don’t get around nearly as much as I had thought I would. Oh well, completely worth it :)

Kath     at 6:11 pm

So fun! Thanks for typing this out :) I’m sitting here freezing in 68* – what temp do you keep your house on now with a neeked baby?!

Would you believe that we haven’t even turned our heat ON this year? Our condo is ridiculously well insulated, so much that when it’s 40 degrees out I’m often in a t-shirt inside. I even crack our balcony doors for a few hours during the day for fresh air! Insane!

Kath Reply:

WOW! I’m impressed. Cold on the East Coast!

vegfoodie Reply:

68 degrees sounds very pleasant! i live in PA and have only turned the heat on twice so far this December! it just hasn’t been that cold imo. love that low heating bill (though i do like snow, being from new england). :)

Christine     at 6:11 pm

This brings back so many memories for me of my now 13 and 15 year olds . . . thanks for sharing your day with us :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 6:12 pm

He is just so darn cute! Even though you day/night sounds hectic, it still sounds perfect. :)

Kristin Reply:

agreed :)

Amy     at 6:13 pm

Thank you so much for this post!! I am expecting my first and keep finding my imagination drifting off to the sunshine, lollipops and rainbows that I assume life with a baby is like — so this was really helpful for me to read!

It IS rainbows and sunshine, but it’s also blowouts and screamfests. It is also all worth it. :)

Jess     at 6:15 pm

He is so cute! As an expecting mom (due in April) I love this post! What kind of diapers are you using?

Seventh Generation

Cheryl     at 6:16 pm

Emily, in the evening you said you put on some white noise.. do you have a machine or do you do something else for that effect?

White noise app on my phone! It’s a LIFESAVER bc I can use it on the go!

Army Amy*     at 6:16 pm

Oh my! I had no idea that days with little one were really that busy. Between the feeding, changing, playing, etc. there really isn’t much chance for you to have some time to relax!*

Sam     at 6:21 pm

Cullen is adorable! It’s encouraging to read your posts and it’s clear you love being a mom and are embracing the journey. I appreciate the candid way you share. My kids are toddlers now, but I can see how these posts would be very encouraging to other new moms and moms-to-be. I put both my kids in the boppy pillow on the sofa in the same way – they slept so well like that! Continue to enjoy all the sweet little moments like the ones you captured in this post.

Megan     at 6:25 pm

This post had me feeling alternately super excited and super nervous about what’s to come in the next month or so. Your day is jammed packed from start to finish. It’s obviously all for the good because Cullen is simply adorable!

Overall, I’m really glad to see what another new mom is experiencing hour-to-hour. I’m not sure what you normally do for work (?), but I’d love to see another post similar to this once you head back to that routine.

Kristin     at 6:28 pm

wow i loved this post!!! you are such an amazing mom :) I cant wait to be one someday! :0 Cullen isoo adorable! I still think he resembles you A LOT!

Hotpotatokate     at 6:29 pm

This might just be my favourite post ever- I loved the way your post was so positive, without glossing over the negative bits. I have a tendency to fluctuate between imagining the worst and imagining the best when I picture life with our newborn (in 2 months!)

PS- I always imagined having a girl, but looking at Cullen always makes me so happy our nugget is a boy nugget!

I am sure girls are just as fun, but I LOVE having a boy!!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen     at 6:33 pm

That last picture is priceless!!! I’d love to hear more about how the pups are adjusting to their new brother. They seem to be doing ok… have they been jealous or asting out at all?

Eehhhh there has been some acting out. Chewed up pacifiers or toys dragged into other rooms. But not too bad. I think they realize he is here to stay!!

Jo     at 6:35 pm

I have so much greater appreciation for new moms!!! Cullen is so cute and you look fabulous by the way. Love the photos of him sticking his tongue out!

Mandy     at 6:36 pm

Love your Daily Garnish Amazon page-esp the baby section. I am planning to order the same car seat you have from seeing your page and after reading the reviews. I hope you continue to update it with more baby products you use and like–and I hope you get a commission from the orders it generates!! :-)

Oh thanks! A lot of people ask me what we use, so I try to just make it easy. And I do get a small percentage of sales, so double thanks!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 6:38 pm

Emily- you should read this article on stay at home moms….

Puts things into perspective.

HA. Tacoma doesn’t sound like a very good friend to me if she really feels that way!

anon     at 6:39 pm

So many memories of my now 17 and 10 year olds. My kids were NEVER content being alone. I had many showers with the curtain open and the baby in the car seat. Talking, cooing the whole time hoping to shower without the screaming. I used to LOVE my showers at the gym during this time. It is fun and sounds like you are doing a great mix of staying in and getting out. PS; so, so much harder with two! I can’t imagine how moms do it with even more children. I also loved those sweet dog pictures.

I can’t imagine having a second one!

Ashley Reply:

With a second one, you realize that you actually did have a lot of free time with only one. It’s scary, I know! It’s hard to imagine until you’re living it.

Audrey Reply:

My mom had a lot of kids (so thankful for all my siblings) and she always says that the early years with just one or two or three kids is the hardest. After that they grow up and entertain themselves more. They also help out with the little ones. I loved when my mom would have another baby and I feel really blessed to have had the opportunity to spend time with them. If anything I wish I had more siblings since they were so fun, and I loved taking them for stroller rides, pushing them on the swing, holding them, and playing with them.

We really want to (hopefully) have a big family, mainly because of the reasons you listed. I think it’s so fun for siblings to have each other and grow up in a big family. I can see that older sibs would actually be helpful too! I’m almost 31 though, so we won’t be able to space them out too far.

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 6:42 pm

He has the sweetest little smile! And the most gorgeous pouty lips. Awww!

Kim     at 6:50 pm

Day in the life of baby posts are my favorite. Although stressful for you I’m sure, it’s so interesting to me! We were at Panera tonight and a tiny tiny beeby was crying at the table across from me and I just loved her little expressions.

Wow, super busy! I think more people need to understand just how much work goes into raising children.

Tamicka     at 6:52 pm

wow great post emily. I loved your blog before baby and am loving the addition of cullen as well. It looks like hard work but thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you made the transition to cloth diapers?

Thanks so much! Haven’t started the cloth yet, but hopefully soon!

Tara     at 6:53 pm

Love this post as I’m going through the same routine with my 6 week old son. Do you really get that huge of a break in the evenings with your last feeding at 6:30 and he doesn’t get up until 1:30am? If so, I am so jealous!! My baby wakes up every 2-3 hours without fail :/

We are insanely lucky with our evening break. He sleeps from 7:30pm to 1:30am almost every single night! But that just started recently, so there is hope for you yet. :)

Tara Reply:

That is awesome! Definitely something to hope for :)

Lisa     at 6:59 pm

What an insight into what my days might be like in 12 more weeks eeeeeeeek!!!

So exciting!!

Rachel     at 7:04 pm

I love this post!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 7:05 pm

Wow–this really puts everything into perspective. You said you are lucky that Cullen goes back to sleep, but you are lucky YOU can too! I guess its easy when you’re exhausted all the time, haha.

On a side note, can you take a video of Cullen at some point and share on the blog?! Would be super cute :)

Haha sure. I have lots of videos! :)

Shayla @ The Good Life Reply:

Yay!! I vote for a Cullen video too! He’s got to be one of the most adorable babies ever – such a beautiful face he has :) Loved the post Emily and can’t wait to hear what the routine will be like in a couple months!

Allie@LiveLaughEat     at 7:12 pm

I am exhausted just reading all that! You are a trooper though. One day Cullen will read this post and be so grateful for all your love.

Awww I hope so. I keep asking Casey if he thinks he will dance with me at his wedding. :)

Cara Reply:

Not if he elopes to Vegas like we did.

Haha true!

Jenny     at 7:12 pm

Love this!!!! And it most certainly answers the age-old question: “what in the world do you DO all day???”

That shot of him smiling so big… LOVE!!

Haha SERIOUSLY!

Anne Marie     at 7:15 pm

You are amazing :) you look absolutely beautiful and your family is gorgeous! I hope I have things together as well as you when baby time comes for us (not for at least another year or so)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama     at 7:17 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I have a 3 year old and am due to deliver #2 any day now. This reminded me of what life with a newborn is going to be like. You really do forget!

As a side note–the book Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child was a lifesaver for me. If you feel like you might want some insight and help getting Cullen to nap more/longer–check it out. Hope you don’t mind the unsolicited advice. :-)

A few people have recommended that now, and I think I’m definitely going to order it! Thanks!

Megan Reply:

Agree! I read this book also and used the author’s advice/methods with all 5 of my kids who were (well, turned out to be) EXCELLENT sleepers.

Cullen gets cuter every post :)

Meagan     at 7:22 pm

Wow – this was really insightful read! So many things that I forgot a new mom would have to do – you’re doing them, and juggling it all!!

Jackie @ MomJovi     at 7:27 pm

Oh my. This brought back so many memories. My daughter is almost 4, and already that phase feels like a lifetime ago. It’s not any easier now, per se … just a different set of demands. I wasn’t blogging when my daughter was a newborn, but I’m willing to bet that it would have taken me at least two weeks to write this post. By which time, of course, that entire routine would have changed entirely. That’s the thing about babies — good or bad, every phase is very short-lived. But I must say, you two made a dang cute baby! I may not miss diaper blow-outs but I definitely miss the other newborn smells. Soak him in!

Alice     at 7:31 pm

what a beautiful baby boy!!!

Sarah     at 7:34 pm

That is awesome that Casey is home from work by 4:30? Does he have a flexible work arrangement? My husband and I both work in finance and we normally don’t get home til 7 or so. It makes me wonder if we can manage parenthood someday. I would definitely need more reasonable hours than I have now.

Cullen is adorable and you seem to be doing great!

He can set his own hours, so he leaves each day at 4 to get home earlier to us. He also goes in really early though (sometimes at 6:30am!).

Katie     at 7:41 pm

This is so helpful! My husband and I are in a similar situation – live in Seattle, no family to help out – and my biggest worry is how we take care of the baby AFTER he/she arrives in June! I’m not sure if we’ll both be able to work outside the home….and with that feeding schedule, this sounds like it would be really hard for me to continue my Redmond to Seattle commute everyday! Guess we’ll see in a few months!

Congrats on your impending arrival! :) Not sure about the commute, but a lot of working moms pump all day long. You do what you have to to make it work!

Lisa     at 7:42 pm

That’s adorable and exhausting!!!!!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 7:45 pm

I LOVED reading about you and Cullen’s day! Such a precious little man! :)

Jess     at 7:47 pm

Loved this post! You sound like you have your hands full! I swear you have the most adorable little boy on this planet…he looks like the perfect mix of you and Casey! Can’t wait to read the next day in the life to see how life changes as Cullen grows!

Thank you! I think he’s pretty cute. :)

Julie @ Wearing Mascara     at 7:47 pm

Glad everything is going well! I love these posts. He is such a handsome baby!

colleen     at 7:57 pm

reading this brings back so many memories. those were the days where everything blended together and you questioned what you got done…which wasn’t too much.

I had to re-read the post like ten times just to make sure I had included all his naps, feedings, etc!

Lindsey     at 8:08 pm

This is such a sweet post! Actually, all of your Cullen posts are absolutely wonderful. I’ve so so so enjoyed following this journey with you and your family. Thank you for bring us readers along and for dedicating time to us!

I’ve always liked your writing but I really feel that it has really improved lately. Your posts are always full of interesting, relevant content and presented very well.

Have I gushed enough? Either way, thank you for taking time out of very busy and very important stage of life to share with us.

Thank you so much! I have a lot fun putting together my posts, and I’m glad to hear it shows in the final product. :)

ashley     at 8:22 pm

That mom-job is NO joke! :) You’re doing great, Em!

THANK you! :)

Lara     at 8:24 pm

This is very enlightening! My goodness, you are a busy bee. Thanks for the glimpse into your new mama life.

Lara     at 8:28 pm

P.S. Was it pretty easy to teach the dogs to leave the baby alone while he is on the play mat?

They are still sort of afraid of him. They get close and sniff, but if he yells or flails around they jump away. I am happy to have them remain slightly afraid. :)

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife     at 8:29 pm

I LOVED this post, it was so fun to read! I love that your dogs curl up near the baby when he goes to sleep at night! So sweet!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 8:32 pm

Sounds like you’ve got a good routine down!

Katie Bucco     at 8:42 pm

Emily,
It’s a shame we aren’t in the same time zones…Hayes’ sleeping/night time feeding schedule is almost a perfect match!!

Michaela     at 9:26 pm

So much eating!! He seems like a very happy baby.

Meck     at 9:32 pm

Emily, I love reading these posts. My sister had her twins about a week before you had Cullen. I’m a grad student and we live across the country from each other, so following your blog has really helped me understand her experiences and has given me good talking points!! I’m amazed by all that you do!

Emily     at 10:02 pm

Glad I’m not the only mom who doesn’t get lunch! Haha afternoons are always the busiest! And the hungriest for babies…I hope they enjoy their 3 lunches while I get none haha

Socal Rachel     at 10:40 pm

Thanks for sharing this great post. I don’t see how you have any time to blog.

I just try to stay organized and efficient! Being a mom has to be top priority, so if the post doesn’t get up til 10pm (or not at all!) so be it.

Heidi     at 11:43 pm

Your blog is my entertainment for those early morning feedings! Thanks for your stories that make me realize I’m not the only one. :)

erica     at 12:35 am

wow. i had no idea. i mean, i always heard it was busy and tiring but i never had it broken down like that!

you’re a great mom :) love that cullen loves the camera! and i LOVE that last pic!

Christy     at 1:46 am

Love your blog-miy baby is three weeks old. Also have a two year old though so that keeps things interesting. I recommend an iPad for entertainment while nursing. can pay bills, shop online, or just spend way too much time on Facebook!

I have an iPad in the nursery that I play on while I fee him too. :) And I use it for music when we’re playing in there.

Ami@dashofcurry.com     at 2:21 am

What an adorable post– I love reading about your little man’s daily adventures!

Charlie- The Runner Beans     at 2:43 am

What a cutie, love the michelin man arms!

Hahaahah I know!

melissa     at 3:19 am

love this. Cullen is adorrrabbble. sounds like your days are packed. I always wonder how my sister gets absolutely anything done – she has 3 (VERY active) boys under the age of 7. i am in my residency (pediatrician) and pretty sure she is still way busier than me…. :)

Andrea     at 4:19 am

Wow…I am sooo not ready to be a Mom!! Yikes.

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 4:32 am

Love reading about your experience and schedule with Cullen. I am trying to soak in ALL I can before our first child comes in May. :)

katie@newmamamac.blogspot.com     at 4:44 am

this is such a great post! the schedule seems to be working and doesnt seem all that bad for a 7 week old! it will get better, then worse for a little bit,and then really really good! keeping with the bedtime routine will help u in the long run.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 4:49 am

Love it, Emily. My biggest surprise so far has been how I can get absolutely nothing done when Ada is awake. Which is now for longer and longer stretches of time. I do see some semblance of a schedule in your day, though. We’re working on that, too. Slowly . . . but I’m hoping to start getting in some play time and such next week. Ada mostly wants to be held a lot. But you’re starting to look like a pro at this mom-thing!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) Reply:

I couldn’t get much done for a long time when Hailey was awake, but now (3 months) she will sit and babble while she watches me cook or do computer work… Ada will be there soon, too!

Ashley I had about two weeks (probably right where you are now) where I had NO idea how to manage my days once Cullen started being awake more and more. There was a lot of trial and error (still is) but eventually we sort of figured out what works best for him. Cullen also wants to be held a lot (and only standing, no sitting allowed), which can be frustrating sometimes. I try to remind myself that in a year or two he will never want to be held, and I will miss these days!

Haley S     at 5:52 am

You and Cullen are so cute!!! I absolutely love the photo of Indy and Huey curled up on the couch with Cullen….too precious :)

Heather     at 5:53 am

wow this is terrifying! lol! While I’m sure when my time comes I will love (most) of it, to imagine how much my day would change is quite scary. I know it’s totally worth it but geez. You need a trophy. :)

katie Reply:

I agree. It slightly terrifies me as well. Not sure how I’m going to be able to work (commute to work), breast feed, raise a baby and sleep. I guess people do it all the time, but still…

Haha it’s not scary. It sounds overwhelming, but you honestly just take it one hour at a time. It’s so worth it! When your baby comes I will come down to Atlanta when you are ready for visitors and help you. :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 6:03 am

I’m not looking to have a baby in the near future, but I love following along with your story. I have learned so much! Love the pics, especially the last one, SO precious!

Lauren     at 6:03 am

Thanks for posting! My little guy is 2.5 now so it was fun to “relive” his early days through you. Sadly, I can hardly remember when he was this little…it seems like such a blur now. Enjoy it!

Gwen     at 6:11 am

Emily – I really loved reading this post and hearing about your days! Sometimes I want to have a baby so bad but I don’t think about WHAT it will be like each day when we do finally have one! Thanks for sharing!

Beki     at 6:18 am

Thank you so much for all of your posts on what life is like with a baby. I am about to pop any minute and truely appreciate reading about your experiences, I feel less stressed about what is to come. Keep up the great work and by the way what a handsome little guy you have!

Exciting!!! Good luck!

Madeline @ Food, Fitness & Family     at 6:21 am

Cullen seems like such a happy baby! Love that you get to capture his smile … Emmalyne rations hers out and they are so hard to catch on camera haha. Maybe I have to go mamarazzi status…

Love reading your posts since we shared a due date :)

Cullen rations them out too. I have my camera set on continuous shoot so when he DOES crack one, I just hold and fire. Haha. :)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 6:23 am

Isn’t it fascinating how busy you stay all day, but how not much ‘gets done’. I feel the same way, but at least we know the most important thing is getting done— nourishing our sweet little babies!
I love the breakdown of the day because it makes all of use new moms feel like we aren’t alone :) I have a 3 month old breakdown on my blog today, too!

Emily McIntyre     at 6:39 am

Wow. Thanks for this wonderful post; I’m going to be finding my own routine with our new little one in a couple of months and it was encouraging to see how you’re doing it! You look wonderful and Cullen is seriously one of the most adorable babies I’ve ever seen!

Kristina     at 6:51 am

I’m not even a mom, but I love this. Also I’m exhausted just reading it…but I really appreciate these informative posts. We’re definitely planning on having kids in the next 3-5 years, and I know I’ll come back and reference your blog!

Leah     at 6:53 am

The dogs on the couch with the baby…awwww.

Kora     at 7:03 am

I think the next time I hear someone without babies say something insensitive about parents “never doing anything anymore”, I’m going to refer them to this post. Wow. You’re amazing.

L     at 7:12 am

love the post, but I am exhausted just reading it. zombie moms = super moms. whew!

Raychel     at 7:15 am

Your 1am photo is adorable!

One of my friends has twins who were born just a few days before Cullen. You can tell they were preemies because they look so tiny compared to Cullen! It’s been fun to see how different twins are than singles and to have Cullen to compare them to :) 2 months is so fun, though, because they’re so much more active and awake.

I literally cannot imagine twins.

Raychel Reply:

Yeah, they’re a handful for sure! I usually am over there a few times a week washing bottles and feeding them and whatnot. It’s fun while they’re asleep, but man, when they’re awake at that dreaded 5-7pm time, it’s not very fun! I feel sleep deprived being over there for a few hours, I can’t imagine what it feels like to be their parents!

Sarah     at 7:24 am

When I was a baby, my golden retriever was extremely protective of me, I bet your dogs will become very protective of Cullen, especially when others visit :) Riley would sit on peoples feet if they were holding me so they couldn’t walk away!

Cullen is BEAUTIFUL! You guys look like you’re having a blast!

JT @ The Faux Foodie Girl     at 7:30 am

oh gosh your schedule sounds so much like mine when Lexi was 3 months and I was still home. The 1am and 5am blog reading and texting is so familiar to me even today…some things never change, but I love it!

gina (fitnessista)     at 7:33 am

thank you for this post! crazy to think that in a couple of weeks that will be me. it definitely seems like a ton of work, but i’m excited about it :) you’re a rockstar.
and that last picture… my heart has been melted forever

So excited for you!!!

Abby     at 7:36 am

Goodness. I was a nanny for 2-month old twins this summer, and this sounds a lot like our days (except I was responsible for two of them lol). Luckily their naps were a bit longer, but they were constantly waking up because of a last paci or something, so there was rarely a thirty min stretch that they didn’t need tending. Funny enough, though, the 2-4 pm time was their crankiest, too.

Ella, RD     at 7:52 am

Thanks for this post! I am 34.5 weeks right now so it gives me something to hope for (it seems like you have created a great routine!)

Lauren     at 7:58 am

LOVE this post! Love reading about your life and how truly busy it is with a little one! Gives me some perspective for my constant yearning to have one now!! You are an incredibly hard worker and looks like an awesome moma!! :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 8:29 am

Great post! Since I’ve seen this first-hand with my niece (a few weeks older than Cullen), I sort of feel more prepared for when the time comes. I know it won’t be easy, but it does look like it gets easier each day and totally worth the busy schedule.

Definitely gets easier each day, and most definitely worth it!

Audrey     at 8:47 am

Oh, he is so cute! I love that last photo. Precious. You are so busy, my goodness! I don’t know if I could ever be a mom.

Jen     at 8:54 am

Love this post, and Cullen is too cute! I have a 3 month old girl (my 3rd!) so I love seeing what other babies are up to.
It doesn’t seem like you need any advice, but one idea that worked for me was to stop changing her diaper in the middle of the night (unless it’s dirty, of course, or super, extremely wet). She stays sleepier without being undressed, and it saves time, too. I just nurse for a few minutes on each side and she falls right asleep on me. Plus, if he’s sleeping next to you, you can do it right in your bed.
Can’t wait to see more Cullen updates!

Ahhh I TRIED to not change the diaper as much during the night, but then he was waking up with his pajamas soaked and I felt like a horrible mom that let her baby sleep in pee. Gross!! Maybe I need better diapers. Hopefully when we switch to cloth he won’t need it changed quite as often!

Felicia Reply:

IME, when we switched to cloth my son needed to be changed more often.

Renee     at 9:01 am

I am exhausted just reading this – ha! Busy little boy for sure!

suki     at 10:00 am

so exhausted FOR you! but of course, love this post. :P gotta cherish even the sleepless/foodless hours because they’ll grow up so fast!

Rose     at 10:04 am

Not going to lie. As a non-mama, this post is completely exhausting. Fine times ahead!

Sonia (the Mexigarian)     at 10:47 am

I completely agree with Rose’s comment.

Wow. That is a jam packed day. I am amazed at your stamina to get things done. Major kudos. I’d probably end up crying along with the baby because of stress. lol. it’s definitely an eye opener :)

Dee     at 10:50 am

Wow. I have never been given a detailed view of what it’s really like to take care of an infant. As a mamawannabe, this is a real eye-opener of what I’m trying to get myself into!

I did have another recent glimpse when I babysat by friend’s five month old so she and her husband could celebrate their anniversary. I was with the baby for 4.5 hours, and I had to hold her the whole time, even while she was asleep, or she would wake up and cry. When she was awake, I had to entertain her, not just hold her, or she would cry.

But that four hours is NOTHING compared to what you describe in this post. Wow…

Dee     at 11:04 am

I think it’s so precious that your dogs join him during his evening sleep. So adorable!

Susan (Oliepants)     at 11:12 am

I just read Sabrina’s timeline and thought, I need one a younger baby timeline – so this is perfect ‘timing’.

I have to say that the husband coming home is a bright spot in the day for everyone. It’s so very nice to catch up on the day.

Catherine     at 11:47 am

Holy crap.

I am exhausted just after reading this post. And currently kow-towing to all moms. I don’t know how you do it, but I love reading about it!

hannah alehandra     at 11:53 am

Loved this post, Emily! It was so insightful!! Thank you for sharing it with us. Cullen sticking out his tongue is so cute hehe you’re so blessed.

Lissa     at 1:05 pm

Great post, you are such a good momma!!!!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 1:42 pm

<3 mwah. Cullen makes me so happy.

Tameika     at 1:51 pm

I’m exhausted just reading this! You are definitely doing an amazing job. Thanks for sharing and keep at it! Cullen is adorable and will truly benefit from all of your dedicated mothering.

Therese     at 1:57 pm

Ok I am a first time mom too so take this advice with a grain of salt, but Cullen may be super cranky in the afternoons because he is tired. 3 hours is a REALLY long time for a 7 week old to go without a nap. In fact, at 6 months my daughter still only can make it about 2.5 hours of being awake without getting sleepy.

At this age most babies still need 4-5 naps a day. If you are interested in learning more about sleep you could read the book “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” by Dr. Weisbluth. It has a lot of great information.

Also there is a sleep board on Baby Center’s website (Teaching Your Baby and Toddler to Sleep) that has been invaluable to me.

Anyway just thought I would make that suggestion. Sounds like you are a natural mommy!

Patricia     at 1:58 pm

Emily I love all of your post! I am an expecting mother ( 8 months and 1 week ) and cannot wait till I hold my precious baby girl. You are an amazing mother!

Angela     at 2:09 pm

I’ve been looking forward to this post since you mentioned it and I see I’m not the only one!

I loved the entire post but this made me crack up:

“4:15pm – Diaper explosion. Entire outfit change for both of us. New load of laundry started.”

I also love the picture of Cullen with his tongue sticking out! Adorable. He’s very candid with that camera! It’s like he’s saying, “OK Mom…I’m ready for our day! I hope you are too…” heh

Jessica     at 2:58 pm

Ditto to Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child. Have you tried staying at home so he can have his second nap in his swing also? I have 3 daughters and learned that for the first year or so, they had to have their naps at home, at the times they liked, or they would be fussy and thrown off. I am all for getting outside, breaking up the routine, etc, but it is also nice to have a happy baby. If I were you, I would try having him take all naps at home for a few days instead of on you. Maybe if he gets a better nap from 12p-2p, he wont be fussy after 2p, know what I mean?
He is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for this post!

Joanna     at 4:09 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! It is really insightful to me as someone without kids of what to expect.

Atara     at 4:33 pm

Congrats on your precious prince! I miss the 7 were old baby stage! My little boyfriend is 11 months and it’s flying by! I’m one of 9 and the sibling aspect of a big family is so amazing! I had the same problem with my son waking up soaked at night and I quickly learned a trick I thought I’d share: at the 7 pm pajama bedtime diaper you can buy a size up than Cullen normally wears during the day- the extra space in the diapers was a miracle worker for me! My son never woke up soaked again! Congrats and enjoy every second with Cullen!

Katie     at 4:52 pm

I had to tell you how happy I was to read this, my Emma is 7 weeks and 2 days old, and it is so funny how similar our days are! I am jealous of how Cullen seems like a great sleeper (don’t want to jinx you!) because a larger chunk of our days is spent trying to do those damn 5 S’s so she naps and isn’t so cranky, but otherwise very much alike. Right down to the dog staring at me like “hello? remember me?” Keep enjoying him, he’s adorable!

Kat     at 4:53 pm

LOVE this post! I am always so curious about day in the life posts!

Rachel @ my naturally frugal family     at 5:10 pm

I have been meaning to ask if you have tried the g-diaper and what you thought of it. Also what do you think of the seventh generation diapers?

Erica     at 5:12 pm

Loved this post! My husband and I have been reading your baby posts since we are expecting our first in March and have no baby experience, and I love your positive yet candid take on things! Every time we go through them, my husband comments on how cute the pictures are with the dogs and baby together (we have a pup and cant’ wait to see them interact!). Anyway, thanks for sharing your journey with your readers!

Liz     at 6:14 pm

This is one awesome post (from an obviously awesome mom!). I’m not sure when I’m ever going to be ready for all that… ;)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 6:24 pm

That is quite a day! After a few of those I wouldn’t be able to tell night from day anymore. You’re doing a great job, Cullen seems happy!

Denise     at 7:24 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m exhausted just reading this post. It’s obvious I don’t have kids of my own yet, but still. :) Thank you for sharing such details. It’s nice to know what eventually I will get into when I myself have kids someday.

Jaycee     at 8:30 pm

Thank you for the great post! I have a 2 week old infant and a 1.5 year old dog who is quite demanding. Do your dogs demand your attention? They seem very well behaved. Who takes them on walks?

Koko @ Koko Likes     at 10:41 pm

I don’t have a baby (YET), but I loved this post, so to the point, informative and not too graphic. He is just the cutest sweetest kid!

Jessy     at 6:38 am

What’s the point of white noise? I have never heard of using it with kids. What does it do?

Stacey     at 9:14 am

Aw :) I love this post. Your little man is such a cutie! It’s funny how, when a baby comes along, all of the days just sort of melt together because of feeding. You are literally on CULLEN time haha :D You look like a natural at this :D

Gabrielle     at 6:37 pm

I’m exhausted just reading this. I don’t know how people do this.

Lauren     at 4:11 pm

I know others have said this, but I’m exhausted just reading this ;)

Angela     at 10:32 am

Thanks so much for sharing! It makes me wish that I was able to stay home with our kids. We don’t have any yet….but I’m an attorney. I can’t see being able to have more than part-time at home with our kids. It is so precious all of the time that you get to share with him!

angelique nanton     at 2:08 am

Basically what am going through with my 7week old and very helpful knowing that am not alone I have a 3yr old to it a little difficult cause he also wants attention

sarah (the SHU box)     at 3:54 pm

just read this post now (annabel is almost 8 weeks!). many similarities, a few differences – but so reassuring to read because sometime i feel like i second-guess a lot of what i’m doing, and it sounds like you handled things very similarly. i am having so much fun watching cullen grow up ~5-6 months ahead of annabel – gives me a ridiculously cute and fun sneak preview!!

Sorry I’m so late to get back to this! For so long I worried about not having a routine or schedule, and now that Cullen is much older I realize how silly that was in those early weeks. It really will work itself out – don’t stress! I still second guess EVERYTHING, but we are all still alive and kicking. :)

Mandy     at 3:52 pm

Hi Emily! I have a 7 week old so that’s how I came across your blog. It looks like you nursed him at 6:30pm and then not again until 1:30am. Did you pump in between those two times? I’m just trying to figure out scheduling and wondered if that would decrease my supply. Thanks :)

P.S. I’m a vegetarian too…I look forward to reading the rest of your posts!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » A Day In The Life: 16 Months.     at 3:11 pm

[...] have been saying for a year that I will write more of these.  I wrote about life at 7 weeks, and again at 5 months, but then I never followed through again.  I actually really wish I’d [...]

oh, bother.: a day in the life – weekday at 11 months     at 5:11 am

[...] Emily at Daily Garnish does these “A Day in the Life” posts where she spells out her days spent with her son, Cullen. I love hearing about her days because it’s always nice to get a glimpse into another mom’s routine. I wish I would have started this blog right after I had Holden so I could have better chronicled my life as a new mom. Oh well, better late than never. [...]

treadmills online     at 10:42 pm

Am I expressing merely an individual’s opinion, or does
legislation say the same thing? Also, while exercising, a person may feel dehydrated thanks to
excessive moisture. In this case, an elliptical trainer would be ideal.

acne treatment kolkata     at 9:48 pm

Hence, these scars are elements which will lead to depression and
a lesser self esteem. Ensure that your feeding bowls and dishes are made of stainless-steel.
Make sure you drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water daily.

www.webdesignquoter.com     at 4:39 am

I get answers like ‘everyone has one’ and ‘shouldn’t I’ve one’?
You can easily arrive at it by street, tube, and on occasion even
the coach. Maybe not everyone visiting your site knows what you do.

payday loans FL     at 9:49 am

A person should have got attained this of 18 years if he/she to be able to go for such loans.
Instance, this may of service is foor anyone that is in need
of assistance of money.

cheap women’s car     at 1:44 pm

No matter hhow careful you are, a collision can’t be foreseen.
It is also very important to select a strategy that supplies the kind of security that’s actually required.

acne scar treatments that work     at 2:59 pm

Your skin condition may varty from mild, to moderate
if not severe acne. Normal acne therapy can be obtained righ inside
your Denver yard. So which is the best acne therapy?

goji berry emagrece     at 9:11 pm

Wolfberry should be available seeing as fresh
benefits and exactly as dried fruit. This will contain amazing so every consumer
does. Teens will need also physical fitness properly.

www.crocssale.net     at 10:04 pm

Seriously, you just can’t have too many – unless they hurt your feet.
Activated charcoal can also remain in the shoes overnight and have odor-free.

Grey is actually not for being color but as a shade.

http://opinionibinarie.com/plus500/     at 11:40 pm

Heed their assistance to others and learn how it may be put on your life.
And I’m required to have the client original or signal every
entry or site. What sort of financial services are you currently offering?

http://events.courant.com     at 5:36 pm

Cosh Urology Clinic United states of america
is the surgical specialty coinic in Chennai. Schedule and convenience typically iis always
a premium.

jacksonville.com     at 7:04 pm

This way, youu will be able to capture thhe attention of
thhe kids. You’ll find numerous companies that supply services like pub purchase or pub for Contract.
May wrapped with painted Chinese tiles.

sell annuity payments     at 8:17 pm

The interest-rate may determine howw much money aan individual has readily available
foor pension. Exactly the same rule goes for almost any out-of-pocket costs you incur
using this challenge.

mold inspection     at 6:12 am

In accordance with studies, dark mold can cause several respiratory problems
and even death of infants. For this, you have to keep the cellar in a dry condition.

Create a list of what basic functions you’ll want in a tent trailer.

www.yelp.com     at 6:34 pm

And it’s only once ab-normal symptoms begin occurring that individuals realize the potential of the toxic substance.

To help prevent mildew from forming keep the closet
clean. Shake on any place using a fungal rash.

cydia ios 7 paid apps     at 11:35 pm

You will certainly love this situation simply because it can be utilized for keeping any type of Apple iphone.
The jailbreak is untethered, meaning it does not need re-jailbreaking after a boot.

Hosea     at 10:31 am

Like an Income Terrier, your Coin Puppy will have the
ability to “enable you to crop rabbits” when it’s developed.
Can you break the sweets and licorice first? It has also develop into a source of activity.

Lawn/garden Services in Lynn Haven     at 9:38 am

When someone writes an post he/she retains the plan of a
user in his/her mind that how a user can be aware of it.
Thus that’s why this post is great. Thanks!

Andra     at 1:12 pm

Simbolizând eleganta si rafinament , aceasta este în mod constant privit ca
o culoare de prestigiu . Cea mai mare exemplu este sex , din moment
ce asta e cel mai simplu butonul pentru a împinge într-un tip .
Nu-i rău pentru ceva ce n- au auzit de înainte .

Chrisy     at 7:22 pm

Wish I found this post couple months ago! I’m a FTM with a 5 week old baby and our schedule is quite similar to this one right now. And I totally wish I had known what “eating every 2 hours” really my meant! Motherhood is hard but when he smiles… your heart melts and all of a sudden you’re okay with knowing you’ll never sleep 8 hour nights ever again…