Cranberry Orange Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts.

Tell me I’m not too late.  That you haven’t already done all of your shopping.  That your list isn’t already printed, finalized, and ready to go.

The calendar gods really pulled one on us this year – am I right?  Thanksgiving feels SO early!  I swear I was making a Halloween costume last week.  I had a small panic attack last weekend when I realized that Thanksgiving is next week, and I hadn’t cooked (or even thought about cooking) a single thing.

I started jotting down recipe ideas, making grocery lists, and organizing myself for a big week of cooking.  And then I took a second look at my calendar and realized Casey was headed to Dallas for the week.  Womp womp.  So that was part of the reason for my vague whiny post on Monday, as well as my lack of amazing Thanksgiving-ness this week.

But the nap gods heard my cry, and blessed me with the perfect trifecta of adequate photography lighting, a refrigerator with necessary ingredients, and most importantly – a three hour afternoon nap perfect for putting together this rustic bowl of deliciousness.

I don’t make green bean casserole on Thanksgiving.  Nothing against it – it’s just not my thing.  But I still always make sure we have some green on the table.  And save me the talk about not liking Brussels sprouts until you have tried this dish.  This is bright in both color and flavor!

Cranberry Orange Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts

• zest of one orange
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. If you are using stalk of Brussels sprouts, start by carefully trimming the sprouts off the stalk. Be careful not to lose a finger or two. If you bought sprouts in bulk or in a bag, you have saved yourself the step of lugging a huge stalk of Brussels sprouts home from the store, as well as the task of trimming.

Next, trim the individual sprouts. Cut the woody end off the bottom, discard any loose leaves, and cut each sprout in half lengthwise.  Rinse and drain your cranberries, and add to a large mixing bowl along with trimmed/halved sprouts.

Toss berries and sprouts in 2 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt.  Spread evenly onto a baking sheet and pop into the oven to roast for about 40 minutes (stirring once halfway through cooking).

While the sprouts are cooking, get the walnuts ready for toasting. If you have whole walnuts, do a bit of rough chopping. Add the nuts to a small baking dish. With about 5-10 minutes left on the oven cooktime, pop the dish of nuts into the oven along with the sprouts and cranberries. Watch carefully to make sure they don’t burn. You just want them to darken a bit.

When everything is roasted and toasted, remove from the oven and toss together in a large bowl.

Using a microplane grater, zest one whole orange over top of the bowl. Orange zest really brings this recipe to life, so the more the merrier, and definitely don’t skip it.

In a small dish, whisk together 1 tablespoon each of olive oil, orange juice, and balsamic vinegar. Pour over the mixture, and toss with a 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.  Serve immediately or room temperature.

A few notes for Thanksgiving prep:  This dish can be made ahead of time. If you already have a heavy cooking load on Thursday and can’t spare any oven time, consider roasting the sprouts and cranberries the day before. Seal in a storage container and refrigerate overnight. When you are ready to eat, spread the cooked mixture onto a baking sheet, and heat for 5-10 minutes while the walnuts are toasting. Then toss all components together just before serving.

Thanksgiving is known for feasts of comfort food, and afternoons spent slaving away in the kitchen.  That’s part of the fun, right?  But you have more complicated things to tend to – like mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie.  This dish is an easy side that comes together quickly, leaving you extra time to relax and watch the parade (or if you are in my house – the dog show!).

We are headed to Connecticut for our holiday this year, and even though we’ll be in someone else’s kitchen, Casey and I are still planning to do all the cooking.  I’ve been getting organized and planning what we’ll make, and as soon as I took a bite of this, Brussels sprouts went on the top of my shopping list.
Have a great weekend!  I am hoping to squeeze out one more pie recipe and hopefully get it posted here quickly.  And if it doesn’t get photographed or posted…oh well – at least we’ll have pie!
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 5:41 pm

oh wow, this sounds utterly fabulous! we won’t be home for thanksgiving & due to family stuff, we’ll actually be eating out which i’m a little sad about. BUT i do plan on making some yummy sides to just enjoy on our own before we leave so this sounds perfect. i’m not a green bean casserole fan either. :)

Nancy     at 6:03 pm

Can’t wait until Thanksgiving! I am making this tomorrow night! It’s all my favorite flavors in one bowl. I can’t wait to try it. I have a feeling this will be a new staple. Thanks!!!!

Kristen@Change of Pace     at 6:40 pm

I was looking for something green for Thanksgiving! I just wrote this one down. Thanks for sharing!

RLR at Mom's Magic     at 7:06 pm

I am sending a link to this post to my sister-in-law right now! She and my brother-in-law (husband’s brother) are coming east (from the Seattle area) for Thanksgiving and they are cooking for us! She asked us if we had any preferences, and my side of the family usually cooks very heavy (traditional) foods for Thanksgiving. The kind of foods that leave you feeling so full you just want to take a nap. This sounds so tasty, still traditional, and so. much. lighter. than the typical fare. Mmmm!
PS – I had never seen Brussels sprouts on a stalk until our Trader Joe’s opened a few weeks ago. So pretty, but I would not want to cut them off!

Meagan     at 7:51 pm

This looks great, Emily! Yum :) I just made brussel sprouts tonight, so I’ll have to make this version next round! :D

Leslie     at 7:51 pm

Making this!

Kristin     at 8:03 pm

Yum!! I will def be making this for my family Tgiving this year. Looks delicious!

Alisa     at 9:08 pm

Yum! I found I actually like Brussels sprouts (thank you, former NYC office cafeteria!), but I haven’t felt adventurous enough to try cooking them at home. This recipe is quite inspiring, though. I hope to try it out!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:37 pm

I am having a love affair with brussels sprouts right now. I’m definitely adding this to our Thanksgiving dinner list. Thanks!

Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa     at 9:58 pm

This looks amazing, Emily! I have a cranberry, orange and walnut pie in the oven right now… love those flavors together!

Ashley Marcin     at 3:32 am

Hahaha I can ASSURE you that I am even farther behind in Thanksgiving planning. This recipe looks incredible and will very likely make it to our table this year. Thanks!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 3:42 am

These look amazing! I love Brussels sprouts simply roasted but my husband is getting tired of them that way. This will certainly light up his taste buds.

Mary Beth     at 5:24 am

You’re not too late- the list hasn’t even been started yet. I am totally going to make this for our first Plant-Based Thanksgiving! (and so glad Cullen had a good nap, yay!)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 6:30 am

I love brussels sprouts and orange together! What a great combo!

Elise     at 7:00 am

This is absolutely perfect because I was looking for a good roasted brussels sproats recipe for Thanksgiving! I think I’m going to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

Alexis @ Hummusapien     at 8:30 am

This looks gorgeous! I will definitely be adding this to the Thanksgviving menu. Love your sweet and sour brussels, too :)

Ashley     at 8:47 am

Love the cranberry photo! I currently have a bag of cranberries and a bag of brussel sprouts in the fridge…hmmm :)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 9:08 am

This looks great! As someone who won’t be able to celebrate Thanksgiving this year (working at the restaurant that day), I too am a bit sad about the holiday.

I read something really interesting about brussel sprouts the other day (in Harold McGee’s On Food & Cooking–great book, do you have it?). The inside core of brussel sprouts is where most of the bitter flavor comes from (which is what some people don’t like) and apparently cutting them in half or quarters before cooking helps get rid of it!

deva by definition     at 9:23 am

These sound amazing! Last year, my mom made a brussels sprouts and grapes dish that was so good and balanced. Even though I am just contributing pumpkin pie to the table this year, I am totally adding this to my list of things to make, just for me.

Emma     at 1:26 pm

This looks promising! Thanks

Sarah G     at 7:48 am

MM! Can’t wait to try this soon. Since you’re always sharing recipes with us, I thought I’d share a link with you for a few other brussel sprout recipes (for after Thanksgiving, obviously :) It feels weird sharing recipes with you, as if you already know of every existing recipe and combination… but I suspect that’s not a valid thought/feeling, so here goes nothing:

Michelle     at 8:04 am

I love you for making this up. I am making this for Thursday. I can’t wait.

Amy     at 8:22 am

Yum! Roasted Brussels sprouts are my favorite. Can’t wait to try this one.

Lindsey     at 10:19 am

Your timing is perfect! I’m going to a Thanksgiving potluck today and I was just thinking, what else can I bring that’s green? Time for the grocery store!

Laura     at 10:26 am

Hi Emily! Thanks for this recipe, perfect timing. This rounds out my menu and I get to use up left over walnuts. Now off to brave Krogers. Happy Turkey Day to you guys!

Kris     at 7:31 pm

Perfect since brussels sprouts was one of the dishes I volunteered to bring to our friends’ house for Thanksgiving.

Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength     at 6:22 am

Brussel sprouts are my new obsession…only problem is I don’t know anyone else who likes them. Whatever…I’m going to make this for myself sometime this winter. haha :)

Belinda     at 7:19 am

You’re awesome. My hubby and I love brussels sprouts, and I’m trying my darndest to convince those who think they don’t like them, that they’ve just never had them served well. I’m bringing this to the family get together :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 11:15 am

My brothers would probably balk if I brought brussels with me to dinner – but I think it’s worth a try! Besides, Thanksgiving is the perfect time for everyone to try a little of this and a little of that and it might give them the courage to try a brussel and see what they think. :)

Lisa     at 12:43 pm

I was looking for a brussels sprouts recipe! Thanks!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 2:22 pm

Looks fab!! On the list to make in general (I’m Aussie). Happy Thanksgiving!
Heidi xo

Ann     at 5:36 pm

I made these on Saturday and they were DELICIOUS! I would put parchment under them next time because the burned cranberries made a mess, but I would totally make these again. Andy also loved them, maybe even more as leftovers.

Belinda Reply:

I made these too, and loved them! The parchment paper is a great idea, cause the cranberries were a mess once they burst :)

sarah crosby     at 6:00 pm

I’m sure my husband will thank you once I make these. He is always begging me to bake brussel sprouts but I never had a good recipe so I just avoided his requests. No excuse anymore! Trying these asap!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 5:56 am

This looks delicious! I have a simillar recipe that I make, but I use pine nuts instead of walnuts.

Alison     at 5:42 pm

The orange vest really made this dish pop! My first time cooking brussel sprouts at home as I only learned I liked them last year. Great addition to our holiday meal but definitely a dish that will be made throughout the year.

Kristin     at 4:10 pm

Made these tonight with leftover cranberries. What a delicious dish. I will def be making these for Christmas. The red and green colors together make it an extremely festive dish. Thanks Emily!

So happy to hear that you liked it!

Erica     at 7:21 pm

I’m not sure if I did this right – the bitterness of the cranberries really overpowered the dish. I love brussels sprouts, especially roasted. Maybe I added too many?

Boo, I’m sorry. That sucks. The cranberries are definitely tart. Both times I made it I used a BIG stalk of Brussels sprouts, so the cranberries were pretty well balanced. I’m sorry it wasn’t a hit, but I’m glad you let me know!

Erica Reply:

I used two bags of sprouts. I think I want to try it again with just fewer cranberries (I used a whole 12 oz bag from TJ’s).

michelle     at 2:23 pm

I made this today and it was delicious. I used pecans and reduced balsamic. Great recipe!

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know!

Karin     at 12:36 pm

I made this the other day (but with dried cranberries since I had them on hand). It’s the best brussels sprouts dish I’ve ever had – thanks!

Leah     at 6:32 am

I made this for NYE dinner with my husband, we devoured it! The orange juice and balsamic dressing was the perfect complement to the tartness of the cranberries. Thanks!

Kale Salad, Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Roast Beef, and Potatoes… Oh My | justjacq     at 8:01 am

[...] craving roast beef.  Something a bit more traditional.  I had been wanting to make Emily’s Cranberry Orange Brussels Sprouts  with Walnuts ever since she posted the recipe and so I based my entire Christmas Eve dinner around this side [...]

Maple, Balsamic and Lemon Brussels Sprouts - Easy Side Dish at This American Bite     at 1:08 pm

[...] Cranberry Orange Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts. (dailygarnish.com) [...]

Chana     at 3:09 am

Aw, this was a really good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to
generate a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and don’t seem to get nearly anything done.

Healthy Meal Time: Episode 6 {A Holiday Feast!} | A Taste of Trace     at 3:11 am

[...] used vegetable, we decided to rectify that with this amazing side dish! We made Emily’s Orange & Cranberry Roasted Brussels Sprouts and they turned out [...]

Vegan Supper Club #6 - Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen     at 3:01 am

[...] go with our entree, we roasted up some sweet potatoes in coconut oil and made this recipe for cranberry orange Brussels sprouts that we topped with toasted pine nuts instead of walnuts. We added a touch of maple syrup to bring [...]